The Alumni Association supports the Caldwell Fellows
through scholarship endowments and program support.
The Caldwell Fellows program fills the unique niche of identifying and developing for service-based leadership a highly promising and widely diverse body of students. Great minds and open hearts, plus a talent for leadership and creative problem-solving, are marks of those selected to be Caldwell Fellows.
Through a rigorous selection process each spring, new Fellows are selected from the freshman class that entered NC State the previous fall (or first-year students with less than 30 credit hours at NC State).
Fellows receive a financial award that includes three years of tuition stipend, as well as annual enrichment stipends for experiences in cross-cultural immersion and service, global leadership development, professional and self development, and social entrepreneurship.
Components of the experience include:
- A diverse and highly engaged learning community, which meets regularly through monthly dinner seminars, class retreats and shared service-learning endeavors.
- A three-hour honors-credit leadership seminar for sophomores.
- Service-learning teams that engage each fellow in ongoing work with community partner agencies.
- Intensive, individualized leadership and life coaching with a team of Triangle-area executive coaches.
- Roles of responsibility that allow students to develop applied leadership skills.
- Campus service ventures, created and maintained by Caldwell Fellows, including WE Recycle, NC State’s recycling program at Carter-Finley football games; SATELLITE, a five-day science and technology camp for N.C. high schoolers; and the new Campus Famers Market.
- Capstone leadership training at the Center for Creative Leadership.
- Outward Bound model ten-day Wilderness Expedition.
- Annual international service-learning excursions.
- Deep engagement with program alumni through networking, internships and an annual Alumni/Fellows Gala.